Who We Are
Founded in 1894, Union Hall is within walking distance of the city centre, the University of Manchester campuses, the Royal Northern College of Music and the Commonwealth Pool. Our desire is to reach out to the local community and to be a support to the student population.
We are brought together by our faith in Jesus Christ. We believe Him to be God’s only Son, and our personal Saviour and Lord, and through Him we have found not only a new relationship with God, but also strength and real purpose for daily living.
Teaching from the Word of God is the central focus of our Sunday worship which includes a mix of old and new hymns and worship songs. We have a multi-cultural, all-ages congregation with family friendly Sunday morning services which include Sunday School and a crèche. Midweek children’s clubs are provided along with student hospitality, opportunity for midweek prayer and group Bible study.
We hope you will use the links on this site to learn more about the church, our activities and most importantly the faith that we have in Jesus Christ.
We are affiliated members of both networks.
Pastor & Elders
In the 1880’s the world-renowned preacher Dr. Alexander McLaren was drawing great crowds of listeners to Union Chapel, Oxford Road, Manchester.
Amongst the Chapel’s activities was a Christian Endeavour Society, and the young people of the Society’s Home Missionary Committee were looking for opportunities of service which would be honouring to the Lord. The young people, under the ministry of Dr. McLaren were given the vision of a great need and after much prayer were given a burden for the district of Hulme.
The young people were led to a cottage in Sheffield Street, where a godly woman, Mrs. Hooley, opened her door for Sunday evening Gospel services. Meetings, although very crowded, continued here until 1902, with occasional temporary use of a disused public house and a laundry to accommodate growing numbers. At the end of 1902, a room above a Smithy in Canning Street was obtained, and the adult work transferred from the cottage on 1st February 1903. Such were the beginnings of Union Hall.